In Sweden, the country of its presumed origin, the cinnamon roll takes the name of kanelbulle (literally: ''cinnamon bun''). This was my first attempt to bake cinnamon buns and i succeeded! Thanks to my Vietnamese friend (Sia Thuy) who shared the recipe and showed me the process. This recipe makes 20 buns.
1/2 pkt of jäst 50g (active yeast, to use half of it only)
|Active yeast weigh 50g|
300ml fresh milk
60g granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
480g plain flour
2.5 tsp ground cinnamon powder
70g granulated sugar
Pearl's sugar (opt.)
1. Cut the yeast into pieces and place them in a bowl
2. Melt 50g butter in the microwave for 30 seconds.
3. Then pour fresh milk into the butter and heat them up using a pot with temperature 37 degree celsius (finger warm).
4. Pour this warm liquid into the yeast/bowl and add ingredients A - sugar, salt and flour (keep some flour about 20g for later use). Use a stand mixer and get these mixed well for about 10-15 minutes on low speed to achieve smooth elastic dough.
5. Coat some oil on a big bowl and for the dough to proof. Cover with a towel and allow to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. It should double its size after that.
6. Ingredients B - melt the 50g butter in the microwave for 30 seconds.
7. In a bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon together.
8. Using the balance 20g flour, spread it on table and roll out the proofed dough to est.30x40cm.
9. Brush the melted butter on the dough then top with ground cinnamon powder and sugar.
10. Starting at the longer end, tightly roll up the dough and then cut the dough into 2cm thick.
11. Place them on baking tray, cover with cloth and let it them to rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
12. Brush with butter and top with pearls sugar.
13. Into preheated oven at 200 degree Celsius and bake for about 7-10 minutes till slightly golden brown. The original recipe called for 250 degree celsius for 8mins and my friend did succeeded with that temperature. Mine was baked at 200 degree Celsius for 6 mins only as my oven is a super hot kind. Another lady tried with 200 degree celsius and total baking timing is less than 10 mins. Oven temperature may vary.