Living in a cold country such as Sweden, having hot soup is something i really wish for. Prawn is one of my favorite types of seafood. So - soup + prawn = Prawn noodle soup!
I have a hard time accumulating my prawn shells and it usually takes me months to have enough for just one meal (there was even once that i had to accumulate for 9 months!).
Why add pork ribs, you might ask? It enhances the flavour and makes for a heartier meal.
Prawn noodles with pork ribs by Angela Seah Thulin
600g pork ribs
3 tbsp oil
3 cloves garlic, cut
3 red shallots, cut
1 kg prawn shells or more
1 star anise
1/2 chicken knorr cube
2 tbsp brown sugar
7-8 cups water
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 tbsp crystal sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce
3/4 tbsp dark soya sauce
1. Blanch the ribs in boiling hot water. Drain and set aside.
2. In a big pot, add oil to it, stir fry the garlic and shallots. Then add prawn shells in. Cook till fragrant is out and shells turn red.
3. Add star anise, chicken knorr cube, brown sugar in, Stir and mix well. Then add water in. Let it come to a boil.
4. Add the ribs in and white pepper, follow by crystal sugar, fish sauce and dark soya sauce.
5. Stir and mix well. Taste and adjust accordingly. Let it come to a boil and then switch to low heat and simmer for 2hrs.