This is the most WONDERFUL chocolate cake I have ever had. It is very soft and moist in itself and the ganache makes it perfect!
I like simple recipes and this one is definitely the easiest. All you need to do is just to combine the dry ingredients together first, then add the wet ingredients in and beat for 2 minutes. Bake and done!
105g plain flour, sifted twice
45g Hershey's dark cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
120ml strong coffee
70ml vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
250g semi sweet chocolate
150ml heavy cream (36% fat content)
Pan size -
9'' (23cm) round pan
4 x 15cm round pans
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
1. Grease and line parchment paper to four 15cm baking pans. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix on low until dry ingredients are thoroughly combined.
3. Add egg, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla essence - beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Batter will be thin.
4. Divide batter evenly among 4 baking trays, 160g batter each.
5. Bake at preheated oven for 25-35 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and transfer to wire rack, let it cool completely.
6. In a small sauce pot, bring heavy cream to a simmer and then remove from heat. Pour the cream onto the chocolate. Let it sit for a minute and then stir to mix well.
7. Assemble the cake - sandwich the layers together with just a little of the ganache. Pour the rest over the cake letting it fall down the sides and smoothing to cover with a paletter knife. Chill the cake until ganache is firm, about an hour or have it straight away.
1. Buttermilk - I added 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice to 120ml milk. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Strong Coffee - I used 1 tbsp espresso powder to 120ml of hot water.
3. Every oven's temperature varies. I baked these 4 trays altogether on the middle rack at 160 degrees celsius for 20 minutes.
4. I have already reduced 30g sugar compared to the original recipe.
Recipe origin: My Baking Addiction
|Batter is thin|
|Look at how moist the cake is! Perfect!|