I made this chocolate Yule log cake for my son school Christmas celebration. He has requested it to be chocolate flavour. Well, which kid doesn't like chocolate?
With this simple Swiss roll recipe, you can create an impressive looking Yule Log cake.
Kindly follow the steps in sequence -
Part (A) - deco
Part (B) - filling
550ml of heavy cream
4 tbsp of granulated sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder, sieve
*Freeze the beater and bowl for at least 15 minutes. Then whisk the heavy cream, sugar and cocoa powder till trails formed/stiff peak for about 3-4 mins and then let it chill in fridge.
6 egg yolks
4 tbsp sugar
90ml vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp cocoa powder, sieve
120g cake flour, sieve
6 egg white
4 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp of cornflour
*In a clean metal bowl, whisk the egg white till soft peak then add sugar n continue whisking. Add pinch of corn flour and whisk till stiff peak formed. Set aside.
1. Do Part B first
2. Part (C) - Whisk the egg yolks n sugar till fluffy. Then add water, vegetable oil, vanilla essence n whisk till mixed. Add the sifted cake flour and cocoa powder to it and whisk till well-mix (it will look runny).
3. Then do Part (D)
*Preheat your oven now at 170degree Celsius.
4. In 3 additions - take the part (D) and FOLD in to Part (C) till well-combined.
5. Weigh the weight of your batter and divide into 2 portions.
6. On one tray, pour half of the batter on a 10x10 baking tray lined with baking paper. Into the oven and bake for 14mins.
7. Do the same for the next one and bake for 14mins too.
8. Dust some icing powder on the top. Roll it tightly and let the paper wrapped with it. Let it be for few mins or till cooled. I put in freezer for 15mins.
9. Release the roll, spread filling on it and roll the same way again. Make sure it's cooled.
10. Pipe your exterior design as you like. Back into the fridge to chill before you cut.