Normally i am someone who don't eat any type of fat but this is my new favorite. I could eat almost all of it, it is sooo good especially with steam buns and plain rice! Cooking the pork belly for a long time will make it soft and tender (almost melting in your mouth). Using a new brand of light and dark soya sauce really enhanced this dish.
Thanks to my friend Evelyn Lim, for sharing her recipe!
Part (A) Sauce -
Feng He dark soya sauce 50ml
Feng He light soya sauce 25 ml
2 tsp corn flour
Crystal sugar 30g
Hua Diao Jiu 120ml
1tbsp five spice
Part (B) Boiling -
500g pork belly
8 slices of ginger (32g)
3 stalks of Scallions stem (white part)
1 tbsp of Hua Diao Jiu
3 cups of water
1. Scrape the pork belly skin, wash clean under running water.
2. Prepare the sauce Part (A) by mixing all together in a bowl.
3. Cook the Part (B) for 30minutes and flip the meat after 15minutes. Drain the water and pat dry.
3. Heat up your wok with enough cooking oil and deep fry the meat (skin side down) using medium flames until golden brown.
4. Remove and set aside till cooled.
5. Slice the meat to your desire thickness (1-2 cm).
6. Combine the sliced meat with Part (A) sauce. Let it sit in for 15minutes.
7. Bring the slice meat (together with the sauce in it) to steam in high heat for 2 hours.
8. Serve with lettuce or cucumber.