Tuesday, December 16, 2014
Salted Vegetables Duck Soup (duckless version) by Angela Seah Thulin
This is one of the traditional dishes I have always loved and my mum will usually cook only during Chinese New Year. I was in Singapore mid November 2014, went to the wet market and got the uncle to vacuum pack fresh salted vegetables for me (if I had known it would last until today, I would have bought more). And the fact that I am residing in Sweden currently - ducks are not easily found here. Moreover, December is a festive month for the folks here, I see HAM everywhere ^.*
Here's my simple recipe -
350g salted vegetables
1 litre water or more (adjust accordingly)
10 whole chicken wings
2 tomatoes, cut into quartered
40g old ginger, peeled and give a gentle smash
*Opt - 2 pcs of preserved plums
1. Wash the salted vegetables and soak for 10 minutes.
2. Wash the chicken wings and blanch with boiling water.
3. Bring the 1 litre of water to boil and add all the ingredients in.
4. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 and 1/2 hour to 2 hours.
5. Skim away any excess fat from the soup surface if necessary.
Alternatively - use a slow cooker and cook for 3 hours.