Part A- Whipping cream
500ml heavy cream (35% fats content)
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp granulated white sugar
1. Freeze the beater and bowl for at least 15 minutes.
2. Then whisk the heavy cream, vanilla essence and sugar till trails formed/stiff peak for about 3-4 mins and then let it chill in fridge.
Part B - Chocolate Genoise
60g cake flour, sieved
30g cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt (omit this if you are using salted butter)
4 large eggs
130g granulated white sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla essence
42g butter, in microwave to be melted for 15 secs
1. Preheat oven at 180 degree celsius.
2. Grease your 9'' (23cm) round pan and line with parchment paper.
3. In a bowl, sift the dry ingredients - flour and cocoa powder together.
4. In a heatproof bowl, using double boiled method - whisk the eggs together with the sugar constantly. Heat till the eggs feel lukewarm (few minutes).
5. Remove from heat, pour them into a big mixing bowl. Whisk them in high speed for about 5 minutes till ribbon stage.
6. Add the vanilla essence in and whisk.
7. In 3 additions, fold the dry ingredients in.
8. Scoop about 100ml of this batter and add it to the melted butter. Stir and get them well-mix.
9. Then gently fold it into the batter. Pour onto the greased pan.
10. Baked for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center and comes out clean. (mine took 23mins). Then let it cool on a rack.
Part C - Syrup
200g granulate white sugar
2 tbsp kirsch
1. In a small saucepan, add 120g of water and heat over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring to dissolve the sugar. Then add the kirsch in and remove from the heat. Pour the syrup into a small bowl and set aside.
1. Cut the cooled chocolate genoise into 2 horizontal layers.
2. Brush both layers of genoise with syrup.
3. Spread whipped cream on one side of the moistened genoise. Place the other side back evenly and spread the cream on top and sides of the cake.
4. Scoop some leftover cream into piping bag and pipe rosettes on top.
5. Decorate with cherries, chocolate shave, chocolate rice or fruits.