Makes about 18 cupcakes
220g cake flour
75g Hershey's cocoa powder (special dark), sifted
150g unsalted butter, room temperature
110g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
300ml fresh milk
50ml heavy cream (36% fat content)
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp coffee (1tsp expresso + 2tbsp hot water)
1. In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Then add the eggs in one at a time and beat to mix well. Follow by the vanilla extract. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix the milk, heavy cream and coffee together. These are wet ingredients.
3. In another bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together. These are dry ingredients.
4. In 3 additions of the dry ingredients, add them to point no. 1 and whisk together. Do not overbeat. At the same time, in 2 additions, add the wet ingredients in to point 1 and whisk together.
5. Bake in preheated oven at 180 degree celsius for 20-25 minutes.
1. Every oven temperature varies, i baked them at 165 degree celsius for 16 minutes.
2. These cupcakes are NOT SWEET on its own. But with the frosting, it goes well. You may wish to add 30g more sugar.
210g unsalted butter, room temperature
110g icing powder
6 tbsp Nutella
120g chocolate chip, melted
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk (optional)
1. Whisk the butter till soft and add icing sugar in. Follow by vanilla extract, melted chocolate and add nutella in. If you like this consistency, you may omit the 1 tbsp of milk.