Wednesday, January 27, 2016
Homemade Salted Eggs (鹹蛋) by Angela Seah Thulin
The lack of salted eggs in Sweden spurred me to make my very first batch of salted eggs! It's so easy to do. And look at the gorgeous orange color at day 30..
12 eggs (i use chicken eggs)
4 cups water
1 cup sea salt
1 tbsp Hua Tiao Jiu
1 star anise
1. Rinse the eggs and make sure there are no cracks on each egg.
2. In a pot with water, boil the salt and star anise. Boil until salt dissolves, and let it cool completely.
3. After it has cooled completely, pour in the wine and mix well.
4. Using a glass container, carefully place the eggs in and then pour the point 3 in slowly. Because there will be some eggs floating to the top, i use a small saucepan to lay on top of the eggs. If you noticed my above pic, my saucepan has actually drop to the bottom while i was carrying it out from my storage room :)
5. This brining process takes about 30 - 40 days and that it needs to be in a room temperature, i placed them in my storage room with a note stick to it when's the start date and the day 30th to open.
Original recipe - http://en.christinesrecipes.com/2010/09/homemade-salted-eggs.html