I first had this roll cake at my mother-in-law place during Easter gathering this year 2016. She served this as a dessert to us - each with 2 slices of roll cake, topped with a slice of peach and a scoop of ice cream. I couldn't believe how soft and airy it was (scroll down to the last pic). I have never had such a soft roll cake before. I was really amazed by it and i knew i had to ask for the recipe. The flour she used was somewhat incredible to believe. That could be the reason to result such softness. So far, I have not heard anyone using it for baking. Not just that, only 4 ingredients are needed for this roll cake only!! So, I tried baking. The roll cake is soft and i think it has a little different texture from my swiss roll recipe. However I did not achieve my mother-in-law's standard. Technique plays a very important role here too.
Facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/sassyangelakitchen/photos/a.469365889936676.1073741844.233664896840111/526096310930300/?type=3&theater
This is a basic recipe for light roll cake suitable to serve with cream or ice cream.
1 tsp baking powder
100g sugar (I reduce to 75g)
50g potato flour
Preheat oven to 250 degree celsius.
1. In a bowl, sift the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
2. In a big oven tray lined with parchment paper, spread some caster sugar or icing powder on it. Set aside. This is to be used for flipping the roll cake after baked.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar until very light and extra fluffy.
4. Pour in the sifted flour and baking powder or any other liquid (opt. vanilla essence). Fold it in gently until well mixed. Do not over fold.
5. Pour the batter onto your 10x10 baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake at 250 degree celsius for 5 minutes.
6. Remove immediately to flip it over to the tray that has sugar/icing powder on it. Then roll it up.
1. For step three - I whisked using a hand mixer and did it for 10 minutes.
2. Sugar level - my mother in law reduced the sugar to 75g so i followed and i used caster sugar.
3. She baked at 250 degree celsius for 5 minutes while i baked at 210 degree celsius for 7 minutes.
4. As soon as you are done with step 4 - You need to send in to bake immediately. Such potato flour has to be baked straight away otherwise the flour will sink and form a chewy base.
5. If you do not want sugar on the roll, prepare a damp cloth instead (step 2).
6. I added 1 tsp vanilla essence at step 4.
|This is roll cake texture from my MIL's bake.|