I love Katsudon, and so do my husband and son now. The deep fried juicy pork cutlet smothered in sweet onions and eggs .. mouth watering!!
The ingredients to make Katsudon is very simple and preparation is also easy.
Facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/sassyangelakitchen/photos/a.233712673502000.1073741829.233664896840111/548420172031247/?type=3&theater
2-3 pcs of boneless pork chop
salt and pepper
flour (about 6 tbsp)
4 eggs (about 250g), slightly beaten
oil (to deep fried)
200g onions, sliced
scallions, chopped to garnish
2 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
2 tbsp sake
2 tsp sugar
*mix the above in a bowl
1. Rinse and pat dry the pork chop.
2. Pound the pork chop few times gently. Then season generously with salt and pepper. Set it aside for few minutes.
3. Dredge the pork chop in flour and then dip into beaten egg and coat with panko. Set aside for 5 minutes.
4. In medium heat, deep fried the pork chop for 6 minutes until golden brown (flip after 3 minutes). Ensure the oil is covering the whole piece of pork chop.
5. Remove and set aside vertically. Slice into few pieces
6. In a pan with bit of oil, fry the onions until they are translucent and slightly caramelized. Pour the sauce over the onions. Mix well then pour the balance beaten eggs, cook for another 1-2 minutes and add the sliced pork chop on top of the eggs.
7. Cook until egg is just set.
Done and serve with rice, garnish with scallions!