Aiyo, getting my husband to buy the right food is not easy. He bought back organic mushrooms this time (200g at sgd4.90). Perhaps not expensive compare to Singapore but consider expensive here. I decided to use them to make mushroom rice.
The recipe below may look simple, and in fact it is, but the taste is really rich and full of mushroom flavour!
400g brown mushrooms, sliced
40g unsalted butter
2 tbsp plain flour (all purpose flour)
500ml chicken broth
3/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
cooked rice / Pasta
1. Wipe the mushrooms clean and slice them.
2. In a pan with oil, cook the mushrooms until they are tender. Remove and pour them into a bowl.
3. In the same pan, melt the butter first then add the flour in. Mix well. Then pour the chicken broth in. Let it come to a boil. Then add the cooked mushrooms back into the pan.
4. Add the black pepper, salt and sugar in. Mix well. Let the liquid reduce further/slightly thicken. Taste and adjust accordingly. Done.
Pour the ready mushroom sauce over steaming hot rice or pasta.
1. I used 600ml water with 3/4 chicken knorr cube.
2. For my family size (3 adults with me as a small eater) - 240g of pasta.