This is a recipe without alcohol. For those who prefers their fruit cakes to have boozy flavour, you can mix the candied fruit with a little alcohol (Grand marnier, rum, brandy or sherry) and let it macerate for 1-2 days. I like mine this way instead :)
Facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/sassyangelakitchen/photos/a.469362976603634.1073741842.233664896840111/624173644455899/?type=3&theater
100g candied mixed peel
100g candied red cherries (cut into quarters or halve)
140g unsalted butter, room temperature
80g granulated sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
190g all-purpose flour, sieved
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Zest of one lemon
Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius
1. Grease and line your loaf pan with butter and parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and zest of one lemon. Using a balloon whisker and whisk them together.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add one egg at a time, beat until well combined. Add the vanilla extract in and mix well.
5. In two additions - add the flour mixture in with candied fruits. Then beat in the milk with the remaining flour mixture.
6. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for about 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in comes out clean.
Recipe origin - Joy of Baking
1. My cake was beautifully browned around 35 minutes, I covered the top with aluminium foil and continue baking.
2. Every oven's temperature varies. I baked this at 170 degree celsius for 46 minutes.