I have seen one of the Plate & Palate members (Helga) bake this cake a few times, but never tried it. Now I regret not trying sooner!
This is a popular Japanese sponge cake with just a few ingredients needed. It has a honey fragrance, is moist and smooth with a somewhat elastic and bouncy texture. It tasted almost like our chinese bake 鸡蛋糕. Really amazed that it's possible get this kind of texture without milk nor butter! Both my husband and I are addicted to it!
The only downside is you cannot eat it immediately, it needs to be chilled for 12hours according to the original recipe! (But I only chilled it for 4 hours, and Helga actually served it immediately!) Since this was my first attempt, I felt that I didn't really manage to get a smooth and beautiful top but I'm really happy about how good it tastes!
Will definitely make this again in just a few days!
Facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/sassyangelakitchen/photos/a.469362976603634.1073741842.233664896840111/606831739523423/?type=3&theater
6 large eggs, room temperature
190g granulated sugar
200g bread flour, sieve twice
(A) 5 tbsp honey + 2 1/2 tbsp warm water
(B) 1 tbsp honey + 1/2 tbsp warm water
2 x loaf pans
Preheat oven to 160 degree celsius
1. Cut the parchment paper to fit the loaf pans. Grease and ensure paper stick to the loaf pans.
2. Mix the honey and water together. Set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs in high speed until well combined.
4. Add the sugar in and whisk for 5 minutes in high speed.
5. Add the honey mixture (A) in and whisk on low speed until combined for about 30 seconds or less.
6. Add the flour in - in three additions and whisk to just combine. Do not overmix.
7. Pour the batter into loaf pan at about 80% full. Use a skewer, draw zigzag line to remove air bubbles in the batter.
8. Tap the pans gently a few times to release air bubbles.
9. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown top and a skewer inserted center comes out clean.
10. Brush the honey mixture (B) on top of the cake.
11. Immediately while cake is still warm - Place cling wrap on the table, remove cake from pan and flip onto the cling wrap with top facing down. Then gently remove the parchment paper.
12. Wrap up the cake immediately (this is to retain the moisture) and then chill in fridge for 12 hours.
1. I baked at 160 degree for 33 minutes.
2. As I used a handheld mixer, I whisked the point 4 for 6 minutes.
3. I used pure honey.
4. It doesn't have to be baked in loaf pans, I have seen other recipes in round pan too.
Recipe origin: Castella Cake