Sunday, December 14, 2014
Flower Mantou by Angela Seah Thulin
Recipe link -
1/2 tbsp yeast...
75ml warm water (in microwave for 30secs)
1/2 tsp sugar
250g Bao flour
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons oil
Pinch of salt
4 tbsp water
1 tbsp water
1-2 drops of purple coloring
1. Combine the part (A) in a bowl. Stir to mix well. Set aside for 20 minutes. The yeast mixture will rise and becomes foamy.
2. Stand mixer ~ In a mixing bowl, add part (B) and the ready yeast mixture using low speed n combine them together forming a nice dough or knead it by hand.
3. Divide the dough into two.
4. One of the doughs back into the mixer, add part (C) in and on low speed to combine them together or knead it by hand.
5. Place both dough at a warm place to proof for 45 mins covering with a damp cloth.
6. Per flower ball - 50g (divide into 3 portions and roll them into 3 long strips).
7. Stick the top of 3 strips together and braid them.
8. Then from one end to the other end and roll them up. See pic.
9. Bring water to a boil and steam in med-high heat for 12-15 mins, line with baking sheet or parchment paper below. Do not overcrowd the rack to allow expansion.
To freeze: finish the whole procedure here, let the mantou cool completely, then into the freezer. Steam again when you want to consume.